Winter Driving Safety Tips
When you create an auto insurance policy you are probably prying that you will never ever have to use it. So the best way to make sure you keep your promise is to drive safely, especially in winter time.
You might think winter is not that harsh in your area – and if you live in Brazoria, Friendswood, Galveston, Houston, League City, Pearland, Texas Gulf Coast, it probably isn’t. But the weather still brings changes that you cannot ignore, so drive carefully on a year round basis.
Because of the increasing weather and climate changes that have occurred during the past years, snow is more than likely to occur even in the warmest places on Earth. So make sure you are ready to face it, precisely because temperatures are about to drop below freezing in Houston, Texas.
Here are some tips that will save you money on auto insurance and give you good credit with the insurance company:
- Prepare your car for winter. By this I mean that you should make sure your car is equipped with everything required during winter season: ice breakers, low-temperature resistant windshield solution, an extra blanket just in case it gets cold, an ice scraper, a snow shovel and sand or salt.
- Use winter tires. They have deeper grooves than summer tires, which prevents the car from losing control on the road and skidding.
- Learn how to brake on slippery surfaces. The technique you should use depends on whether or not you have an anti-lock brakes on your car. To find out what kind of car you’re driving always check the user’s manual, or call at the car service.
- Don’t empty the gas tank during the cold season. Don’t worry, it will not freeze; but it is better to have a tank half full in case you get stranded somewhere and need heat until help arrives, right?
- Avoid speed driving by all means. Speed driving is to be avoided at all times, but especially in winter when roads are slippery and car control is difficult.